top of page

ASSET-DESIGN

3D modelling was something I first explored during our 'professional development' unit of second year, you can find that here.

Wooden_Gateway.PNG
Wooden_Barrel.PNG
Stone_Wall.PNG
Effigy_Spawner.PNG
Check_Marker.PNG
Crumbling_Gateway.PNG
Stone_Pillar.PNG

The assets you can see above are what I made using Blender to populate our levels for 'Forsaken Realms'; materials applied in Unity (using the standard HDRP). Due to the very limited timescale I had to develop these assets, most of them are low-poly models, all following a basic stylistic approach so that they could knit the world together in our collective vision. I considered their placement and purpose to engineer how the game was played from a mechanical view, such as accomodating mob-spawning or crowd-control for the players. Thereafter, in a stylistical lens too, such as progressing the narrative and using the cinematography to help achieve that progression. 

Over the summer following, I wanted to better my understanding of modelling and all of its principles, then practicing and experimenting for myself on the things I had learned. Gradually, I began to increase the poly-count of models I was creating as they became more complex and explored the very basics of rigging these models. Thus far, I have focused my efforts on creating weapons designed for atmospheric role-playing games or re-developing assets I had already done (below); you can find these on my Artstation too (here).

Check_Marker.PNG

INVESTIGATIONS INTO:

POST-PROCESSING

ANIMATION + RIGGING

Screenshot_20221210_145255.png

Still with a focus on low-poly shapes, I began exploring with post-processing effects such as 'bloom' and Blender's modifier system. This was used for a Game Jam I entered over the summer. 

Screenshot_20221210_145143.png

Gradually increasing the poly-count of my assets, creating more intricate and complex shapes. This 'G.17' inspired pistol was fully rigged for animation. The barrel would move across the slide upon firing.

TEXTURING

HP_Handgun.png

Looking to texture these models on external platforms such as Adobe Substance Painter. Here, I focused mainly on exploring the layering system, allowing for dynamic rust and dirt effects to create realism for the assets.

WIP SHOWCASE:

HP_Blade.PNG
Screenshot_20221102_204002.png

All below have been made using Blender for the modelling and Adobe Substance Painter for the texturing, I will be using Maya in the coming months too.

Screenshot_20221106_005512.png
Screenshot_20221105_012205.png
Screenshot_20221107_233553.png
bottom of page